Nov 22, 2004

For work I participated in a Myers-Briggs type indicator test, to discover I am an INFJ (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging personality type): INFJs "seek meaning and connection in ideas and relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision." It was interesting to learn all of my co-worker's personality types, most of whom I had previously correctly pegged, and unsurprisingly enough, my two favorites are INFJs, too. INFJs rule! So I get to sit here for the rest of the day, trying not to make and continuously revise lists of what clothes I need to pack for our upcoming trip, and reflect on my "vision" and "meaningful material possessions". Like shoes.

Hubb and I put away the pumpkins and decorated the house with stars and red and green and wreaths this weekend. Although there is definitely a holiday feel about our apartment, we didn't exactly go all out on the holiday decoration front this year. We are sticking to the basics this time around, preferring minimal handcrafted "holiday" decorations to glittered and bejeweled Santa/reindeer/angel "Christmas" ornaments. We aren't even putting a tree up, not even the 8-inch midget tree complete with itty bitty tiny ornaments that graced our mantle in 2003. Considering we will be out of town for at least half of December this year, I think we did good.

I am getting more and more into the holiday spirit, especially as we put together our always huge Christmas list. This year a large part of my family is participating in a group charity gift instead of buying each other things we don't need, and that makes me happy. First of all, that's less that I have to shop for. Secondly, we'll make someone very very happy. Thirdly, it makes me feel darned good. And isn't the holiday supposed to revolve around good will and happiness anyway? For everyone else on our list we're working on gift baskets, which I absolutely adore putting together. It makes a little bit more work for us as we calculate and shop and plan what will match each person the best, but it's so much fun. I like complicated gifts.

Two of my coworkers are sick, just in time for me to catch something terrible before I leave on Thursday morning. I'm downing vitamin C like candy, and I think I'll have some chicken soup for lunch just in case. Please think healthy thoughts and send those vibes my way this week. I've been sick every Thanksgiving for the past 5 years. I desperately want to break that cycle.

I'm proud to report that this weekend was free of any shoe purchases. (patting myself on the back) In fact, it was free of any clothing purchases at all! This is a big step for me, no matter how pathetic it looks. I need to find a way other than shopping to celebrate. Wine will do.

No comments: