Dec 6, 2004

It feels good to be back home. Despite my body's attempts to ruin my trip with a killer head/chest cold and a tricky bum knee, I had the most amazing vacation. Family, friends, animals, cities, shopping, sightseeing, eating. It was a whirlwind of excitement that I will never forget. I'm tired and sick and limpy and I'm going to take the rest of the day off and part of tomorrow to heal and be healed. I have many amazing photographs documenting our trip, and I promise to post some soon.

Remind me to tell you about the meat grinder at the Boston Court House and reminiscing in the same pub I ate at almost 8 years ago. And making soap with my 6-1/2 year old niece who turned around and tried to sell it to me. And the thrill (and selfish middle child thoughts) that I'll have another little niece or nephew sooner than I expected. And the most beautiful (and most windy) sunset I've ever encountered, and the $8 hat that produced a sunny sky. And the quarter in Central Park and the man who put puttanesca on the menu, and discovering that cold medicine and beer don't mix. And my dog's twin in New Jersey and surviving Times Square traffic and finding pizza at the perfect moment. And french fries for dessert and Chinatown becoming my favorite place on earth, at least for a day. And not finding a single pair of shoes in Soho and sipping pear brandy in a German bar. And liquor stores that close too damn early and being vegetarian and not even realizing it. And seeing more animals than humans and rediscovering friendship and love and missing my family and friends so much. And most importantly realizing that I'm changing for the better with each passing season.

I had more fun in a week than I can tell you, and New York and Boston were thrilling, but I'm glad to be home. I think I'll always love my own bed in Chicago the best.

No comments: